Natural fibre composite
RESYSTA® – Ecological and Resistant
RESYSTA® is an ecologically produced natural fibre composite in wood look and consists mainly of rice husks. Through a special process, these are homogeneously bonded in a polymer matrix and therefore achieve a high material resistance as well as the wood-like look and feel. There are many favourable properties, so that the material is excellently suited as a seat rest for benches. Special features of RESYSTA are:
- feels warm and natural
- hardly any difference from tropical woods
- permanently UV-resistant (does not fade)
- Great design freedom thanks to versatile processing options and a wide choice of colours
Production and properties of RESYSTA®
RESYSTA® is a fibre-reinforced hybrid material made of approx. 60% rice husks, a waste product of the food industry, approx. 22% rock salts and approx. 18% mineral oil.
This composition makes it environmentally friendly on the one hand and extremely resistant to external influences on the other. The following properties characterise the natural fibre compound:
- durably waterproof and weatherproof (does not swell)
- resistant to salt and chlorinated water
- durably UV-resistant (does not fade)
- does not splinter or crack (no more splinters)
- resistant to fungal and mould
- resistant to termites and other pests
- products partly fulfil very high fire protection classes (IMO certification)
- sustainable and recyclable
RESYSTA® can be coloured
Another advantage over natural materials: as RESYSTA® is produced as a mixture, it can also be dyed in different shades. It therefore meets all the requirements of a modern, versatile material. And in the design of garden objects and street furniture, completely new possibilities open up that could not be realised in any other way.
Comparison of RESYSTA® with 100% hardwood
RESYSTA® tops its natural model 100% hardwood of tropical origin in nearly every aspect: It is weatherproof, does not turn grey, is resistant against fungal and insect attack, does not splinter, swell and crack. RESYSTA® is visually and haptically almost indistinguishable from 100% hardwood. And RESYSTA® products are processed and assembled using the same tools as wood. Products made of RESYSTA® therefore have a long service life without the maintenance and preservation effort that would otherwise be required. Additionally it is characterized by an especially favorable life cycle assessment, as the material is 100% recyclable.
Restrictions of RESYSTA® as a seat rest cover
Besides all the advantages that the natural fibre compound in wood look has, there are also limitations in its use:
- The manufacturing process is complex and expensive – RESYSTA® is not a cheap product.
- Often seat rest covers have to be self-supporting. In that case RESYSTA® is not suitable. With benches a stable substruction is necessary.
- RESYSTA® is extruded, i.e. pressed out of a nozzle or mould as a solid to viscous mass under pressure. This limits the choice of cross sections significantly. However, it is formable when heat is added, so that special projects can also be realised with extra effort.
What Is hidden behind RESYSTA®?
RESYSTA® has only been available for the use with outdoor furniture for a few years and still is an insider tip. The material was developed for the German market by a medium-sized company near Munich and is merchandised exclusively by them.
Tender text for GaLaBau, for landscape architects and planners
“Original RESYSTA®, natural color, surface grinded longitudinally, wooden look.”
Cleaning and care instructions
for RESYSTA surfaces